Skip to main content

Hail Hydra: Idolatry & Forgiveness

Forgiveness.  Just when you think you have it mastered, it comes back to bite you in the butt.  It may be with the same person.  It could be with a similar circumstance involving a different person.  It may be the exact same instance that you thought you forgave five minutes ago!  The point is, as soon as you become complacent in your battle to forgive - as soon as you get comfortable - anger, resentment, and bitterness will show up.

For all you Marvel movie fans, it reminds me of Hydra, one of the evil organizations Captain America fights.  Their slogan reads, "If they cut off one head, two more shall take its place."  That is often what a victory in forgiveness feels like for me.  When the anger resurfaces, it often feels twice as strong - and/or twice as devastating.

"Hail, Hydra!"

This is one thing I have learned this week as I travel ever farther from age 23.  The second thing I'm about to share sounds like I'm jumping ship, but please.  Read on.  I promise, there is a connection.

Life after 23 has taught me that idealizing people can easily turn to idolizing people.  I have struggled with this realization for many months now, and anticipate continued struggles in the weeks and months ahead.  While it is a good thing to look up to mentors in my life, it becomes detrimental to both parties when I raise them up on the Pedestal of Perfection.

They are human.  They will fall.  And the higher the platform on which they were placed, the harder the crash at the bottom will be.  If the crash is large enough, my whole world can be shattered.


That is where the forgiveness connection comes in.  The more you idealize, the more opportunities you will have to struggle with forgiveness, because the more hurt you will be when the pedestal breaks.

Life after 23 is teaching me that everyone has to have flaws, because we are all human.  I will be so much happier if I expect even the most respected mentors to have flaws.  No one is the Lord but Himself.  And for the hurt that's still there, keep up the fight.  Ask the Lord Jesus for help.  You will need it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoying Life After 23

I'd like to say that I finally found my writing materials that had been lost in the moving boxes, and that is why I am finally returning after my eight-and-a-half-month hiatus.  But in this age of technology and internet clouds, that can no longer be my excuse.  Food for thought in the examination of today's generation, but I digress. When I first started my short run at this blog last year, it was because I had never dared to plan or dream past age 23, and therefore had the feeling that, in a way, my life was over.  At least, my life as I had always imagined it was over.  I had just found out that bearing children - if that was even an option anymore - was unlikely without fertility treatments.  The only dream/goal I had allowed myself after age 23 was suddenly ripped out from under me and dangled somewhere ahead in the dark mist of the future, taunting me with the possibility that, even then, it was only a mirage. At the beginning of this blog, I had no idea just h

Reading with an Empty Womb: Becoming a Villager

It's not their fault - the book authors, your friends, your study leader.  I understand that.  But it doesn't make the pain ease up at all.  Anyone else who has struggled with infertility knows what I'm talking about.  You sit down to read your devotional or (God forbid!) have a group Bible study, open your book, and at the top of the page: CHILDREN .  It doesn't matter what the rest of the title says, because that's the only word you see, staring up at you like a big red light that, by turns, is mocking you and judging you. You think, "That's it, I'm out.  This whole lesson doesn't apply to me."  Or perhaps wonder what is so wrong with you that God doesn't want you to raise children.  You maybe start comparing yourself to other moms in your study group, and before long, little seeds of resentment start to germinate as you think, "Why does she get to use this parenting knowledge and I don't? I mean, I'm better than her at

A Word to the Support System

For most of us, there comes a time in life where basic functions become celebrations.  Where abilities that were once take for granted are now mountains we must climb.  Where often modesty and personal dignity step aside in the face of necessity. These inevitable moments may arise after a surgery, when the recovering patient can finally use the restroom on his own instead of in a bedpan held by a nurse.  A new mother finds sweet satisfaction in the ability to shave her own legs after months of not seeing her own feet.  The simple words "yes" and "no," uttered from a stroke patient's mouth, brings victorious tears to everyone in the room. Whether it's relatively short-lived or stems from a long-term illness, these experiences force us to look at ourselves - and the people around us - differently.  Others often surprise us with their "true colors," as it were.  The gruffest person we know could become our most attentive friend.  Those we thought