Skip to main content

According to Grace: Moses' Last Charge

So get this.  I'm reading in Deuteronomy for my devotional this morning, and I come across some food for thought that really has nothing to do with the devotional article's focus.  But there I am, with this cool new interpretation of Scripture that, honestly, I probably should have gotten before now.

Anyway, the kicker for me this morning is Deut. 6:25, which says in the NLT, "For we will be counted as righteous when we obey all the commands the Lord our God has given us."  (For some context, Moses is addressing the nation of Israel with a final charge before he dies and the people enter the Promised Land.  More on that in the next post.)  Right off the bat, I think, "Oh, well this just describes the first part of the picture - the one where generations of Israelites (and a few converts) tried and failed miserably to earn salvation through works. This doesn't apply anymore."  After all, a good portion of Moses' entire charge is rules and regulations.

But then I remember that, earlier in the very same chapter, the verse that I highlighted only last week. "And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength." (Deut. 6:5 NLT)  Jesus actually references this verse in theological discussion with the Pharisees.  He tells them that "the first and greatest commandment" (Matt. 22:38 NLT) is, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind" (Matt. 22:37 NLT).  It is the root of the entire Law (Matt. 22:40).  In other words, the other rules are outcroppings that always lead back to the same principle.

How do I know this for sure?  Hebrews says so.  This book has one of the clearest explanations of Christ's salvation and how it naturally connects to the Jewish religion before Jesus' arrival.  In one sense, it confirms what I've believed for most of my life.  "The old system under the law of Moses was only a shadow, a preview of the good things to come." (Heb. 10:1 NLT)  In other words, the Law is a system that ultimately points to Christ through the imagery of the sacrificial lamb.  And now that there is a "'new' covenant, it means He has made the first one obsolete." (Heb. 8:13 NLT)    

BUT, that doesn't mean that it is completely invalidated, just the specific regulations that stem from the basic foundation that has never changed at all.  Before the Law, "it was by faith that Abraham obeyed [God]" (Heb. 11:8 NLT).  The same applies earlier with Noah, who "received the righteousness that comes by faith" (Heb. 11:7 NLT).  After the Law was given through Moses, many judges and kings were granted victories through their faith (Heb 11:32-33).  They lived under the Law, but had no hope of perfectly following it. God judged them based on their hearts' motivation to obey - love for their God.  When Christ fulfilled the law (Matt. 5:17), faith changed from believing in a promise to come (Heb. 11:13) to knowing Jesus Christ made good on that promise.  We have a clearer understanding of grace this side of the cross (Eph. 2:5-9), but when you look at the whole picture, faith has always been the core of obedience to and favor with God.

I'm just saying, my husband was right when he said Scripture often takes on a whole new light when read in context with the entire Bible.  I personally think that it cuts down on confusion and apparent contradictions.  Who knew in the midst of an increasingly confusing life after 23, I would start finding clarity in my relationship with Jesus that I never before dreamed possible?


~ 12/9/19 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoying Life After 23

I'd like to say that I finally found my writing materials that had been lost in the moving boxes, and that is why I am finally returning after my eight-and-a-half-month hiatus.  But in this age of technology and internet clouds, that can no longer be my excuse.  Food for thought in the examination of today's generation, but I digress. When I first started my short run at this blog last year, it was because I had never dared to plan or dream past age 23, and therefore had the feeling that, in a way, my life was over.  At least, my life as I had always imagined it was over.  I had just found out that bearing children - if that was even an option anymore - was unlikely without fertility treatments.  The only dream/goal I had allowed myself after age 23 was suddenly ripped out from under me and dangled somewhere ahead in the dark mist of the future, taunting me with the possibility that, even then, it was only a mirage. At the beginning of this blog, I had no idea just h

Reading with an Empty Womb: Becoming a Villager

It's not their fault - the book authors, your friends, your study leader.  I understand that.  But it doesn't make the pain ease up at all.  Anyone else who has struggled with infertility knows what I'm talking about.  You sit down to read your devotional or (God forbid!) have a group Bible study, open your book, and at the top of the page: CHILDREN .  It doesn't matter what the rest of the title says, because that's the only word you see, staring up at you like a big red light that, by turns, is mocking you and judging you. You think, "That's it, I'm out.  This whole lesson doesn't apply to me."  Or perhaps wonder what is so wrong with you that God doesn't want you to raise children.  You maybe start comparing yourself to other moms in your study group, and before long, little seeds of resentment start to germinate as you think, "Why does she get to use this parenting knowledge and I don't? I mean, I'm better than her at

A Word to the Support System

For most of us, there comes a time in life where basic functions become celebrations.  Where abilities that were once take for granted are now mountains we must climb.  Where often modesty and personal dignity step aside in the face of necessity. These inevitable moments may arise after a surgery, when the recovering patient can finally use the restroom on his own instead of in a bedpan held by a nurse.  A new mother finds sweet satisfaction in the ability to shave her own legs after months of not seeing her own feet.  The simple words "yes" and "no," uttered from a stroke patient's mouth, brings victorious tears to everyone in the room. Whether it's relatively short-lived or stems from a long-term illness, these experiences force us to look at ourselves - and the people around us - differently.  Others often surprise us with their "true colors," as it were.  The gruffest person we know could become our most attentive friend.  Those we thought