Skip to main content

His Burden Is Light

Sometimes the tears just flow.  No one knows why, least of all me.  Logic says there is nothing in the world to cry about.  I have actually gotten good sleep for a change.  The pain has been manageable today.  The budget balances.  My husband loves me.  Cairo (my kitten) has been exceptionally well-behaved.  I have not had to speed clean the house in anticipation of "proper company."

And yet the devil knows all the right moves to twist everything good about today into something discouraging.  I got good sleep, but at the expense of "wasting" my entire morning.  My pain is manageable because I took so much medicine last night that I'm still foggy-headed today.  The budget may balance, but we're barely making ends meet.  How can I be content in my husband's love when I feel so utterly inadequate to receive it?  I miss him when he's gone, but I'm too sick to be a good companion when he's home.  Why has Cairo been so calm?  Is he sick?  Is he sad?  What disaster did he cause while I was asleep that he is trying to hide?  My house didn't have to be cleaned, but now I'm living in a messy house.  I have not been useful enough to earn happiness today.

As I sit here typing, it occurs to me that this kind of thinking is the root of why I'm so scared of life after 23.  My plans have always been about making myself useful.  The pursuit of happiness, in my mind, is the pursuit of being useful - specifically my idea of being useful.

In all the stress of the past several years, Satan has gotten hold of this way of thinking and gotten a foothold in my heart.  Peter cautions us to "be sober-minded; be watchful.  Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8)  I have clearly lost sight of this warning.  Thankfully, Jesus is in the business of restoring empty shells like me.  He says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10)

My idea of an abundant life has been stripped away.  The ability to earn that abundance has been lost, perhaps never to return.  Yet in the silence that surrounds my inactive form, it seems I am hearing Christ's words for the first time.  He came that I might have abundant life.  Living abundantly comes from Him, not me.  Without Him, I could accomplish every one of my goals and my life would be empty.

God showed me another passage today in my guilt-ridden stillness.  "Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)  All my life, I have heaped workloads on myself and wallowed in the guilt of never being able to live up to my own standards.  I have truly been, in every sense of the term, heavy laden.  The Lord has given me rest - forced it upon me, really.  It's not that I don't have a to-do list.  I still have things to accomplish here.  They are just the light burden of God's to do list, not my own.

If I want to have the abundant life that Jesus talked about, I must stop listening to the devil's prodding and deceit and give up the heavy burden that has been my companion for so long.  Learning to live again is not about going on with no purpose, but relinquishing the goals I created and receiving the ones Christ has for me.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)  God has not asked me to give up my dreams, but rather conform them to His purpose for my life.  Sometimes the tears just flow.  That's ok.  He created tears.  But perhaps they are not as necessary for days like today as I thought at the beginning of this post.  I don't have to listen to the devil's nudge.  I can let go of my expectations of myself, delight in the Lord, and focus on on His expectations of me.

His burden is light.  Loving my husband, while not always easy, is a joy.  My body is a temple.  Why should taking advantage of a chance for good, restorative sleep be a problem?  Keeping a spotless house, while nice, is not part of the burden God has for me.  It's okay.  "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation." (Isaiah 12:2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoying Life After 23

I'd like to say that I finally found my writing materials that had been lost in the moving boxes, and that is why I am finally returning after my eight-and-a-half-month hiatus.  But in this age of technology and internet clouds, that can no longer be my excuse.  Food for thought in the examination of today's generation, but I digress. When I first started my short run at this blog last year, it was because I had never dared to plan or dream past age 23, and therefore had the feeling that, in a way, my life was over.  At least, my life as I had always imagined it was over.  I had just found out that bearing children - if that was even an option anymore - was unlikely without fertility treatments.  The only dream/goal I had allowed myself after age 23 was suddenly ripped out from under me and dangled somewhere ahead in the dark mist of the future, taunting me with the possibility that, even then, it was only a mirage. At the beginning of this blog, I had no idea just h

Reading with an Empty Womb: Becoming a Villager

It's not their fault - the book authors, your friends, your study leader.  I understand that.  But it doesn't make the pain ease up at all.  Anyone else who has struggled with infertility knows what I'm talking about.  You sit down to read your devotional or (God forbid!) have a group Bible study, open your book, and at the top of the page: CHILDREN .  It doesn't matter what the rest of the title says, because that's the only word you see, staring up at you like a big red light that, by turns, is mocking you and judging you. You think, "That's it, I'm out.  This whole lesson doesn't apply to me."  Or perhaps wonder what is so wrong with you that God doesn't want you to raise children.  You maybe start comparing yourself to other moms in your study group, and before long, little seeds of resentment start to germinate as you think, "Why does she get to use this parenting knowledge and I don't? I mean, I'm better than her at

According to Grace: Proverbs 31 Woman

Growing up, I studied the Bible a lot.  I didn't study it every day of my literate childhood, but I definitely felt guilty about it when I got out of the habit.  I'd like to say that was because I loved the Lord a lot and wanted to hear from Him as much as I could, but that was a lie I told myself for most of my life.  I felt guilty about falling out of the habit of reading my Bible for the same reason that I studied so much Scripture: I was constantly searching for the correct formula to happiness and honor. I look back over the copy of the Bible I read the most during my teen and college years, and it is covered with notes I wrote in the margins.  One of my most studied passages was the one describing what the evangelical community has dubbed the Proverbs 31 Woman.  I, like so many other church-going women, have held this group of verses up as my golden standard for the woman I want to be.  And as evidenced by the various ball point pen chicken scratches covering that pa